Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Scripture on the Whiteboard

  • Proverbs 1:7 (Jan 31) Not many comments. Overheard someone saying that it was from the Bible.
  • Ephesians 4:7 (Feb 4)
  • Philippians 4:13 (Feb 5) I misspelled "Philipians" and a student asked to use my Bible to read the verse from today and yesterday.
  • Matthew 11:28 (Feb 6) Broke my numerical pattern.
  • James 1:4 (Feb 7) This one was erased by one of my students when I left the room. Of course I rewrote it when I returned.
  • Hebrews 4:12 (Feb 8) Okay, it finally happened...On break, a student asked me about the verse, I let him read it in the office, that lead to a discussion of scriptures, sharing with those in need, how God can reveal scriptures of encouragement when we are in need. He quoted a few of his favorite scriptures...
  • Matthew 5:16 (Feb 11) Posted in two different classrooms of students. Same student recited verse nearly perfectly in first room...
  • Ephesians 4:32 (Feb 12) New student said she needs to get her Bible from her Mother's house.
  • Luke 6:37 (Feb 13) Today a student asked if I picked the scripture numbers at random. She said she had looked several of these up, and that one of the earlier ones was her favorite so far. She also said her mother loved the idea that a teacher would do this every day. Seeds are rooting. Strongholds are breaking. The truth spreads like fire. Praise God. Later in the day, this scripture was erased from the board, likely by same student who erased on Feb 7.
  • John 8:32 (Feb 14)
  • Acts 16:31 (Feb 15) Same male student recited this verse. He sure knows a lot of scripture. (Feb 19) No classes yesterday or today, but Saturday someone changed the verse to Acts 6:66. Hate the sin, not the sinner.
  • Romans 5:19 (Feb 20) Today a member of the Board of Trustees visited my office, saw my Bible open on the desk and said "Good book...I read it this morning." Later the President of the College was in the adjacent classroom discussing God healing him.
  • Matthew 10:16 (Feb 21)
  • Jeremiah 1:5 (Feb 25)
  • Colossians 4:6 (Feb 26) I saw the student in an evening class erase the scripture today. No surprise as to the identity. Another student, aware of my presence put the student on the spot and asked, "You don't like that?" The student put the eraser down and turned from the board to reply, "No" as she also saw me entering the back of the room. My attempt to apply the scripture for the day resulted in my repeating the same question to the student, receiving the same answer from her at a lower volume. This was not my class time in this room, so I did not rewrite the scripture.
  • Proverbs 3:7 (Feb27) This scripture was not erased today with the same students in the room, even given ample opportunity. I believe in the power of the Word, even for those who do not know the Word.
  • Matthew 5:7 (Feb 28) I was gone Friday the 29th. This scripture remained on the board even through the weekend. Praise God.
  • Mark 8:36 (Mar 3) Some minimal student interaction with one class. In the second class, I told a funny story from Men's Conference. I included words such as God, prayer, speaking in tongues, Pentecostal, Apostolic, healing, church, missionaries, faith, praise... you know, just to tell the story. I pray that God makes me bolder. I don't know when the temple will be rebuilt, nor when He will return again. I just want to please Him and pray that a soul does not slip through my hand into the eternal fires of Hell.
  • Psalm 46:1 (Mar 5) I told the "eraser" today that she needed to know that though I continued to write these upon the board, that it was not personally directed toward her. I let her know that several others were encouraged by seeing scripture references on the board and that was part of why I continued. I told her I did not "use up" any class time discussing the verses and I felt it was something I needed to continue to do. Also, that I did not want the continuation to be any form of discouragement for her. I pray that God helps her mercifully. In the afternoon class, I mentioned on a break, that the youth from our church had a powerful dramatization of Lifehouse's Everything on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv0dL19Dgug Some asked to see the video in class. I told them I would prefer to finish class, wait until non-class time, and allow those to leave who needed or wanted. Several (more than half) stayed. Praise God for open doors.
  • Matthew 4:4 (Mar 6)
  • John 3:3 (Mar 7) Showed the YouTube drama again for different group of students, at start of lunch break, all stayed, most paid attention.
  • SPRING BREAK. The Word is still alive.
  • Mark 12:31 (Mar 17)
  • (Mar 18) Today I walked into find John 3:16 written on the board by a student. It was interesting as I arrived late for class, and did not know of a scripture to write. I brought my Bible into the classroom in order to multi-task for inspiration. What if the students took over writing scripture on the board? Praise God for His Wondrous Works! I most often think of the impact of the students, but today God lead me into a conversation with the custodian. We were discussing the rain...pontoon boats...then the Ark, next we were discussing the elements of faith without physical evidence and experiencing the Glory of the presense of the Lord in Heaven we expect one day. What a wondrous God who puts people like this in your (hallway of) life. To summarize... I did not post a verse today, and the custodian started a conversation with me about God. I feel as though the Lord is telling me, if I will just sew a little seed, he has many roots already planted. Thank you Jesus.
  • (Mar 19) Today a student with different handwriting posted John 15:9. This is a wonderful verse I was not familiar with. This is amazing what God has unlocked! I am just trying to follow the Lord's lead on this one. What is next God?
  • III John 11 (March 24) This one I wrote on the board.
  • Romans 10:13 (March 25)
  • Matthew 25:40 (March 26)
  • Proverbs 27:5 (March 27)
  • Philippians 4:6 (March 31)
  • Romans 12:10 (April 1) A student mentioned that a friend of his stumbled onto the video by the Christ Tabernacle Youth (Lifehouse's Everything on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv0dL19Dgug ) and showed my student. The student let him know he had watched this between classes.
  • James 1:26 (April 2)
  • II Timothy 3:16 (April 8)
  • John 3:17 (April 9)
  • Proverbs 10:2 (April 10)
  • (April 14) I failed to put a scripture on the board today.
  • Luke 7:49 (April 15) Truthfully, I intended to write Luke 6:49
  • Luke 6:49 (April 16)
  • Romans 6:23 (April 17)
  • Micah 7:7 (April 21) Most of the time I feel directly lead by the Holy Spirit to specific verses in the Bible. many of them I do not know already. Today I searched Micah for a verse. Just because somebody does not know Micah is a book of the Bible. I pray the Lord prospers from their curiosity.
  • John 4:14 (April 22)
  • Proverbs 23:12 (April 23)
  • John 10:10 (April 24) This morning during a lab, a student presented me with a book her Mother had used after the recent death of her husband. The student did not feel like donating it as her Mother asked, nor burning as she had considered. Rather she thought I could use it. It is the Abundant Life New Testament (NLT Version). On the back cover is John 10:10.
  • Proverbs 28:1 (April 28) I remember the first time I found this verse. It was a Sunday afternoon last year sitting in the balcony during choir practice at Christ Tabernacle http://christtab.com/index.html.
  • Acts 2:38 ( May 5)
  • Acts 2:38 (May 6)
  • Acts 2:38 (May 7)
  • Acts 2:38 (May 8) I was asked last night to give the opening invocation at the Massage Pinning. A student was selected to give the closing prayer. Hallelujah! Both prayers were prayed to God, and aksed in Jesus' name!
  • Acts 2:38 (May 12) Final written exams
  • Acts 2:38 (May 13) Final Practical Exams
  • Acts 2:38 (May 14) Posting Final Grades

5 comments:

Katie Thompson said...

This is so exciting! In our bible study tonight we'll be talking about praying boldly. It was great to read how God is transforming you and raising you up to change the world. I love you and I praise God for saving you. And I'm so thankful for the blessing Michelle has been in your life. Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

This is so amazing. God always puts you where he needs you. Its just up to you whether or not you are going to do the work he put you there to do. You of all people would be someone who would be up for the challenge. Its really awesome to see how the students are reacting to the scriptures. Keep it up. It's exciting to hear about what God is doing through you!

Anonymous said...

I have a blog now too! www.caymarks.blogspot.com

Katie Thompson said...

I love the word "but" in Romans 6:23. It brings such good news!

Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.